Budapest – Day 3

Location | Ferihegy Airport – Budapest

Ngoc and I are in the airport lounge waiting for our flight to Rome. Today was a fabulous day! It started out relatively early – 9am. We set off to Central Kavehaz again for breakfast. I also bought a box of macarons!

12 Macarons!

12 Macarons!

Then we took the tram across the Danube River to Gellert Hotel to go to the Gellert Baths.

The inside of the Gellert Hotel is breathtaking (very elegant). Ngoc describes the inside of the hotel as similar to what she’d imagine a palace bathroom (with a pool). We went inside and got our own changing cabin – complete with “bed” and a locker. Then we went to the thermal baths. The water was either 36*C or 38*C. We went into the 38*C bath. Note to those who wish to visit thermal baths — it’s clothing optional. Although, most people who opt for nudity tend to be those over the age of 50… just in case you were wondering.

After the thermal bath, we wanted to go to the pools. They have 2, an indoor and an outdoor. The outdoor pool is on the upper level and is also a wave pool. The deepest it goes is about 250cm. Let’s just say that in my attempt to touch the ground, I also freaked myself out.

The indoor pool is in a beautiful atrium. There’s stone lion statues with water coming out of their mouths and the ceiling opens up to the beautiful sunny skies. There’s also old ladies doing aerobics, families with their children and other random guests.

Indoor Poor at Gellert Baths

Indoor Poor at Gellert Baths

After taking dips in the pool (and seeing that we both had gotten horribly tan which we did not expect since it was actually a cloudy day) we went back to the thermal bath just to relax. Then Ngoc and I tried the sauna and since I was dying, I went to lay out in our little cabana. Then I decided I totally needed a massage, so for about $14-15 I got a 15 minute massage.

We left Gellert around 1:30pm and we were starving, so we went to the Central Market to eat some food on the 2nd floor. The service at the place we went to was HORRIBLE. I would never eat at that stand again… I ordered stuffed cabbage (which was good) but the lady just slopped it on and even tho she almost dropped the plate (she did lose some of the sauerkraut) she didn’t even try to give me a new plate.

Afterwards we went through the market to look for more souvenirs. Unfortunately I didn’t find anything that I quite liked.

Then we got our bags and headed to a pick-up point to go to the airport. The transport was 30 minutes late, but we got to the airport, through the ticket counter + security with relatively little hassle.

Sun Setting over the Adriatic Sea

Sun Setting over the Adriatic Sea

It was waiting for our luggage when we arrived in Rome that was the biggest problem. We had requested and paid for 2 seats on a bus to take us to the main centre of Rome, but unfortunately, despite our flight arriving on time at 9:40pm, our luggage didn’t come out to baggage claim until 10:45pm. Then we had to run to catch the last train to Termini Station… and we literally ran through the airport. Well not before we ran around frantically trying to get money out of the ATMs (they weren’t working for our cards).

We arrived at our bed & breakfast and so far it’s awesome! A really nice private room w/ private bath and the owner and managers of the b&b are totally sweet and awesome. More updates to come and pictures too!

About The Author


Other posts by

Author his web site


08 2009

Your Comment